Buying blueberries - need some help before I do

JustAnotherGardenerAugust 18, 2012

I was planning on buying bare root blueberries from Finch but from what I read on the site, they only ship from November-April.

November around here has a chance of snow (though with abnormal weather conditions for the past few years, who knows?).

Would it be ok if I bought the plants for November and planted them in the ground then?

I could also just prepare the beds now and order them for planting in March/April. The only thing holding me back from this is that I also read somewhere on this forum that the quality of the plants shipped from Finch around this time were not as of good quality as those from November/December were.

Thanks! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noogy(6 sw mi)

JAG,
Wait to get yours shipped in early April so you can go right into the pots/ground with them. Right now you should get a jump on soil preparation, particularly PH. You'll need to apply granulated soil sulfur to lower the PH if you're above 6 and watering with hard water.
See if you can buy locally.
Noogy

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 4:29PM
foolishpleasure

Wait until April I did buy blueberry early and the results was not good. If you want to gain from my experience try to find a nursery who ships in small pots Bare feet shocks the roots and it takes long time to recover.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 5:58PM
riverman1

I think November would be fine............whether you buy in November or April, either way the plants are going to arrive dormant. If the ground will be solid in November then wait til April, otherwise it shouldn't matter. More important is getting the soil right..........

RM

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 12:08AM
JustAnotherGardener

Sorry for the late reply, but I just wanted to thank you guys! :)

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™