Avocado Trees - fertilizer?

dailysoAugust 19, 2013

Hello,

I planted avocado trees (the varieties Oro Negro and Haas) a year ago in Sarasota, Florida, and people told me not to fertilize them for roughly the first 6 months. They've been doing fine, but I think I should add some fertilizer now. I own a bag of fertilizer that has 3% nitrogen, 2% phosphate and 7% soluble potash - is this good for avocado trees, or is it better to get something else?

Are there any tips on applying fertilizer to avocado trees - such as watering over the fertilizer, or not watering; or raking it into the peat moss?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

D....great question. I have been growing avos for 35 years....and have 17 varieties. Here is my help: your fertilizer is fine. You can use it. However, depending on your soil....avos have specific needs that can be found in their fertilizer (specific). What I use for my small transplants (2-6 ft) is simply MiracleGro liquid (in the yellow bottle). It has perked up my small trees like you can not believe! Liquid fertilizer gives quick results! Read the dilution ratios... and you will thank me.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dailyso

Thanks Fireduck. How many times a year should I fertilize?

Do the times of year I fertilizer matter, and if yes, what are the best times of year?

Thanks

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™