My Ouachita's are finally coming in!

mrsg47(7)August 9, 2014

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Lovely, Mrs. G! How do they taste? Are they sweet, tartish, have a nice classic blackberry taste? They look REALLY dark.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 8:39PM
mrsg47(7)

Hoosier! They are intensly flavored with 'true' blackberry' flavor with a bit of tartness at the end, sweet at the beginning. Truly good. Thanks! Mrs. G

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 8:44PM
bob_z6(6b/7a SW CT)

My Ouachitas are almost done for the season, with Triple Crown in the middle of its season. I don't think I'd say Ouachita is "intensely flavored"- it is more mild and sweet, while Triple Crown has a more intense flavor. I brought some to work and opinion was divided. I like TC better, but am not as unhappy with Ouachita as during the first season or two.

On an unhappy note, I found my first SWD in blackberries today. They haven't gotten too bad yet this year, but it will probably come soon.

Pic- a quart of berries from earlier today. Mostly Triple Crown, with the first 3 Anne raspberries of the fall.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 3:18AM
jtburton

Congrats MrsG47 on your harvest!

I would second bob_z6 though on the Ouachita not being "intensely flavored" or at least mine were not. Ouachita is a good variety and they are mildly sweet when fully ripe. Mine are finished for the season as well. Fruit flies started showing up during the last week of July so I had a bring them and Triple Crown to a close for the season.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:00AM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks guys. This is my first year with triple crown, so I didn't have many. blackberries grow very well, where I live. I am always amazed at the size of the berries. I just love blackberries! Mrs. G

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:52AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Looking at your photo MrsG some of those could have used more vine time. But if you're making jam, I would pick them as you did. They will sweeten more on the vine.
I'm harvesting Natchez now, my last plant, well Chester and others have a few berries. Anyway they are rated as good not great, but to tell the truth I think they are a lot better than I expected so I'm happy.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 4:39PM
mrsg47(7)

Drew they are headed for the jam pot! I pick at least two cups day, which by the size of the fruit is about twelve berries! They are huge.and very juicy too. I cannot wait to plant more next year. i now see visions of my rose garden turning into productive 'berry and tree land'. Mrs. G

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
Apple Pruning Advice
Can someone tell me if it would be a good idea to prune...
Dan Liptak
Avo tree grafting
I received this tree from a neighbor. Seed grown, not...
tim45z10
Any idea what's causing this on my blueberry?
A couple of the newer branches are turning black at...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Looking for Carmine Jewel Cherries?
I know a lot of people are looking for carmine jewel...
clarkinks
Sponsored Products
Backgammon Set With Strap - 20-1209
$36.17 | Hayneedle
Libe Round Pendant by Masiero
$4,350.00 | Lumens
Ellery Gold 18 x 18 Solid Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
^^^!
| Dot & Bo
&'Costa | Coco Steel Arc Wall Light
YLighting