Avocado tree ID

swakyaby(9)August 4, 2013

Hello avocado fanatics!

I purchased a dwarf avocado tree this spring from Home Depot in Roseville, and planted it in a raised bed about 5 months ago. I am wondering if anyone can identify the cultivar. The plant tag only identifies it as a dwarf hybrid. When I went to the HD Garden Club website and typed in the tag's plant code "THDA5155" it repeated the same information on the plant tag, that it is a hybrid dwarf, grows to 6-12 feet tall, and is hardy to 20 degrees F. When I asked an employee at the HD's Garden Center at the time of purchase, he only shrugged.

It set one pear-shaped fruit, pictured, with some sun scald, I think. I originally thought it might be a Little Cado, but I thought Hass types have more oval fruit. I don't know what a Holiday looks like. Can anyone identify this little avocado tree?

Thank you, avocado fans.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

I can tell you what it is not..Littlecado (Wertz), Holiday (xx3), Gwen. It could be this: http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/100494481/persea-americana-don-gillogly-avocado-reviews/reviews.htm

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 9:40PM
swakyaby(9)

Thanks, fireduck. Is it because of the shape of the immature fruit shown?

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 10:56PM
steve_in_los_osos

If you're feeling adventurous, you can make some comparisons to the UCR Avocado variety database (fruit size and shape, as well as leaf proportions,all pictures).

Here is a link that might be useful: UCR Avocado Variety Database

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 11:17PM
swakyaby(9)

Thanks, Steve. I'll definitely look there.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 12:53AM
tim45z10

I purchased two of them at HD as well. What I learned is it is supposed to be a hass grafted on the roots of a mexican avo. I stripped my tree of any fruit this year.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 1:30AM
tim45z10

I purchased two of them at HD as well. What I learned is it is supposed to be a hass grafted on the roots of a mexican avo. I stripped my tree of any fruit this year.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 1:36AM
tim45z10

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 1:37AM
swakyaby(9)

Interesting information, Tim. Before you removed your fruit, were they pear-shaped like mine? Doesn't Hass produce a different shape avocado?

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 8:27AM
serge94501

My Pinkerton had mature fruits that shape.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 1:31PM
swakyaby(9)

@serge94501,

I agree, Pinkerton is the only tree I know that has the shape fruit I am seeing on my tiny tree. Do you think this might be a mis-labeled Pinkerton? My planting site is completely unsuitable for anything but a dwarf tree.

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 12:40PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

It could also be 'Holiday'. Your tree is very young, and the shape of the fruit may change up some, as it matures. 'Holiday' is frequently sold by the big box stores as a "dwarf" avocado tree. The easiest way to find out for sure is to call your Home Depot and ask to speak to the Garden Manager. Ask him/her where they buy their avocados from, as you're trying to ID the cultivar of something tagged as "dwarf avocado". I have had success in chasing down the grower of some of my trees to find out things like rootstock in this way.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 7:10PM
swakyaby(9)

Hi Patty,

Thank you for your suggestion. I called Home Depot today, and after much computer sleuthing, they identified the vendor as Four Winds Growers, a grower well known in California mainly for their citrus trees. I have left a message for their customer service at Four Winds Growers, and am waiting for a return call.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 4:08PM
swakyaby(9)

After leaving a phone message, I also emailed customer service at Four Winds growers, and they responded today. They said that in March they shipped Little Cado to my store, and in May they shipped Holiday. Based on my purchase in April, they said it is probably a Little Cado.

So, thank you everyone for responding!

P.S. It is interesting that my first fruit is shaped like a Pinkerton, isn't it?

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 3:51PM
johnmerr(11)

Swak... thanks to you for following up and letting us know what you found.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 6:56PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Ah, very good. Littlecado/Wertz. And "ok" variety, I think Holiday is better tasting, in my opinion, but Littlecado will do well in our area. It has a weeping growth habit, much like Holiday. Its fruit is green, and will eventually be a little more rotund.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Methusala date palm reproduces
Judean date http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/tree-grown-2000-year-old-seed-has-reproduced-180954746/?utm_source=facebook.com&no-ist...
canadianplant
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Help me choose fruit varieties to grow in NJ and nurseries
I have been reading some old posts regarding the fruit...
bemonkey Zone 7 South New Jersey
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
Root barrier for Amity raspberries
I am trying to find an 8-inch deep root barrier to...
garrai818
Sponsored Products
David Bromstad Set of Two Chevron Hand Towels
Grandin Road
Flash Furniture Contemporary Avocado Microfiber Kids Recliner with Cup Holder
Overstock.com
Avocado Jute Boucle Rug
Cost Plus World Market
Trend Lab Gift Cake - Dr. Seuss ABC Blanket - 30132
$30.99 | Hayneedle
Stacy Garcia Avocado Dahlia Giclee CFL Swing Arm Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus