Olympic Giant Asian Pear Trees

SaiLiamAugust 25, 2013

We are looking to purchase for planting next spring 300 balled root Olympic Giant Asian Pear Trees for our orchard in northeastern PA. However, we have not had any luck in locating. Might anyone be aware of a nursery/grower that might carry, even if in smaller quantities--understanding, of course, there might be shipping/handling costs if out of area. Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Sailiam,

Starkbros has them under a trade mark called Starking Hardy Giant Asian Pear. My has been in the ground for 12 yrs and loaded with large and super sweet fruits. You have to thin it or the branch will snap.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Olympic Giant or Starking Hardy Giant Asian pear

This post was edited by tonytran on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 15:40

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 3:35PM
SaiLiam

Thank you Tony; however, Stark Bros. appears to sell bare (not balled) root. Appreciate the help nonetheless.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 3:54PM
alan haigh

If you purchase such trees from a nursery they will cost around $200 a tree wholesale for 2 to 2.5 inch caliber trees. Asian pears are widely available in such nurseries but not Korean Giant, AKA Olympic (never heard it called Olympic Giant).

You could contact suppliers like Adams County Nursery to see if they are selling large quantities to other nurseries that size them up for resale.

I've never heard of a commercial fruit growing venture seeking b and b trees. Pears don't usually transplant well so you won't get that much of a return on the extra investment, it seems to me. Probably won't be getting serious crop until the third season after transplanting, I think.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 7:48PM
charlieboring

Suggets that you purchase the larger bare root versions for fall delivery. Effectively you will lose about 1 year as the tree develops its roots.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™