Hail to 3 inches deep, damage to fruit: pics

fabaceae_nativeAugust 14, 2012

Had a whopper of a hail storm yesterday. The moisture (2.75 inches precip in my rain gauge) much appreciated, but not the damage. Annual plants mostly destroyed, some fruiting plants such as grapes entirely defoliated. Apples and plums bruised and unappetizing. See below for more pics -- this one is my melon and watermelon patch the next morning...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Here's a view to the NW showing the ground coated with hail, a brown river of runoff in the middle foreground, and a small apple tree with shredded leaves near the center...

Oh, and the melon patch is barely visible along the fence behind the little apple tree

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 3:30PM
fabaceae_native

sorry, this was supposed to be with the above text...

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 3:31PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

fabaceae_native,

I am so terribly sorry. What a beautiful garden you had. You put soooo much work into it. I cannot even begin to imagine your disappointment. It seems rather late in the year for a hail storm of that proportion, especially in New Mexico. I hope you can salvage some of your harvest.

Did your roof and gutters and cars survive?

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 3:46PM
ltilton

They just froze, didn't they?

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 5:59PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Wow, that was a bad hail storm and I've seen dozens if not hundreds. But never that depth of hail after that long. Have seen it piled head high where it drifted in on flood waters.

Sorry for your lose! Sometimes gardening is a cruel business!!!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 6:07PM
fabaceae_native

milehighgirl: miraculously no damage to cars or structures, other than some exterior lights. Here in NM it seems hail is not uncommon anytime from Spring to Fall, but usually it's just pea-sized and short-lived. This was the worst I've seen.

ltilton: I don't think they froze, since what's left of the vines is still green and not black. It was just being pelted with and buried by ice balls the size of grapes that did the damage I think.

Fruitnut: Gardening sure can be cruel, I'm just glad that it's only a hobby for me.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 9:43PM
scaper_austin

Just had to offer my condolences also. I had one like that a few years ago when I lived in Austin. It not only ruined my crop of fruit for the year(including what would have been my first ever crop of Magness pears) it also spread massive fireblight throughout my apple and pear trees. We had a really bad storm in Dallas this year but some how we avoided much serious damage inspite of some really serious hail. Best of luck on your recovery.

Scape

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™