Chokecherry Suckers alive?

greginnd(Z4 ND)August 24, 2012

Hi everyone. I need some insight.

About a week and a half ago I pulled up some chokecherry tree suckers and replanted them. Some were very small with only a few leaves and a few inches high. Some were about 3 feet tall with a fair amount of leaves. They had some roots but not a lot. When I planted them I watered them will with about 5 gallons of water each. After a couple days the leaves started dying. I watered them again with 5 gallons each. After that I was away for a week. When I came back all of the leaves were dried up and dead.

Is there any chance that the trees are still alive if the leaves have gone? Should I pull them out or try to keep watering them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

You might be OK, this is normal what they do this time of the year, it's best to do it in spring when still dormant. Just let them be and see what comes next spring, don't over water,...moist is fine.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 7:24PM
glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.

greginnd,sounds like they really got some good transplant shock.Normally it is best to move things when they are still dormant in the spring or fall.It is pretty late in the season for them to come back if they would.Make sure the soil has moisture and do a bark scratch test later on in the fall.If the bark is still green underneath they just might come back next spring but I would probably plan on digging more suckers in the fall after leaf drop.

Glenn

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 7:30PM
greginnd(Z4 ND)

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.

Some of the suckers came from a friend and they needed to dig them out now. Some of my suckers I wanted to move right away to avoid potential contamination with black knot. I'm hoping they are ok. Not the ideal time, but we'll see if they take.

I don't think I can water too much this year. The drought has made the soil a huge sinkhole for water. I can pour gallons on it and it disappears.

So far the bark is alive and I have one tree which still has a few live leaves. The good think about chokecherries is that there are usually plenty more where they came from.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™