When should my grapes start changeing

DaveLindahl5432(4)August 27, 2013

I live in Mn zone 4 and its just about september and my grapes haven't started to change yet? It has been real hot this months with temps about 15 degrees over average and in the 90's. The vines seem to be healthy and some of the grapes have brown marks on the but look good and solid. We haven't had any rain for about 3 weeks in my area but grapes seem to be doing good and we have clay soil for the most part which does hold water better than most soils. Will they start to change once the temps start to drop? Please let me know so I don' worry about them so much and this is in a back yard.

Thanks Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Grapes need warm weather to ripen to best quality. It won't help to cool off like some fruits. Mine probably need 4-6 weeks of 90F weather after starting to change color. So if they haven't changed color yet they better soon.

Are you sure the varieties you have will ripen in your climate?

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 4:21PM
mdo003

would probably depend on the variety. I live in zone 5, my mars grapes probably started changing color end of july/early august and they've just gotten to tasting good in the last week or so, but mars is a pretty early variety.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 12:25PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Here in zone 9, I have one variety that was ripe three weeks ago, while my green muscats are just ripening up. It really just depends.

If cold weather gets them before they ripe, you may need to choose an earlier cultivar.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 2:50PM
DaveLindahl5432(4)

I've been reading info on grapes and can you have to many grapes on one plant ? I have 3 mature ones that have been there for over 10 years and this is the only year so far that they haven't changed. I did more pruning this year than most so the grapes are generally bigger this year. I called the local wineries and they say theirs have all turned already. Anyone have a answer to my problem or will God take care of them is his time.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 12:35PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Dave:

Probably a combination of late spring and too much fruit. Too much fruit on the vine can delay ripening by delaying the buildup of sugars.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 3:05PM
mrsg47(7)

My Concords are the size of very large marbles and hard as rocks. I have about 25 good sized clusters, but they are not turning purple yet. It this normal? I've been to every Concord (growing grapes site) and no one seems to discuss ripening times (averages) per zone. Thanks Mrs. G

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Table Grapes for the Southeast
It seems that most of my table grapes have not survived...
trianglejohn
What is happening to my Apple Tree? Fixes?
We purchased this tree and planted it a year ago. ...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Best tasting pawpaw varieties
I would love to hear from others who have tasted different...
shane11
Sponsored Products
Gloss Coffee Table in White
$299.00 | LexMod
Gama Sonic Posts Victorian 3-Head Outdoor Black Solar Lamp Post GS-94T-B
Home Depot
Westin Interlined Blackout Grommet 84-inch Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Batgirl Bombshell Morphing Mug
$17.99 | zulily
New Hand Knotted Authentic Blue/Ivory Kazak 5'x7' Wool Rug Mesa Collection H3415
BH Sun Inc
Authentic Models MF082 Purser's Chair Ivory
Beyond Stores
Stone Luxe 3-Seat Sofa Slipcover
Cost Plus World Market
Korver Sofa - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™