first superior plum

windfall_rob(vt4)August 25, 2013

I just ate my first ripe superior plum.....it was fantastic, I think I will go have another.

A bright note in the day, so far the SWD seem to be leaving them and the sommerset grapes alone. Swenson red is just coloring hopefully it will have an adequately thick skin as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The skin on Superior is so bad even the SWD don't like it!!!!

Glad you like the fruit. And I hope to hear about more things the SWD don't attack. This thing has me flinching before it arrives.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:03PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

One problem I'm seeing with Superior, and i don't remember this in the past, is that its falling to the ground when they are ripe. Very sweet this year because we haven't had any rain in the past month+... No cracking or brown rot on the Superior yet.

Geo Pride are ripe Fruitnut... Pretty good, but no better then a Flavor Supreme in my opinion. Flavor King better blow me away. Dapple Dandy look great.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 7:11PM
mrsg47(7)

Windfall, that is great. Today I ate my first Italian prune/plum that was oh so sweet! There are no SWD around it either for which I am so grateful! Since our August has been so chilly compared to last summer, I was wondering when the rest of my plums will ripen. The skin on my Italian plum is very tangy. Mrs. G

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 7:17PM
hannah9880(5b)

My Superiors have been dropping a lot. The birds have been terrible--they seem to know which are the ripest. Have netted and have caught one sparrow who subsequently escaped. About the skin: read that Superiors are easy to peel and found that to be true. So I have peeled the last bunch harvested and mixed them with the few apples ripe at the same time for plum-applesauce. I find the skin of Superior to be too astringent, but it might be better if we could ripen them more. So far, this is my favorite use of Superior. I have dehydrated them in other years, and this works well.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 8:21AM
ltilton

I find ripe Shiros are easy to peel, as well. But I prefer other plums without the skin problem.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 8:34AM
More Discussions
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™