Honeysweet pear fail

ltiltonAugust 19, 2012

I'd been waiting 7 years for this tree to fruit. At last, this year, a dozen fruits. I bagged them, the squirrels got some, and I waited.

Finally, this month, with everything ripening so early, I started to wonder if they were ripe, even though very very small. I lifted them up to see if they'd separate. Are you ripe yet? Nope and nope. Finally, today, one of them broke free.

I took a bite. Ackptooie! Totally tastless and mealy. WAY past it.

Looks like I'll have to wait til next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Omni

A friend of mine, who has an orchard with peaches, pears and apples, that the first harvest of a fruit isn't its best. The fruits will not taste optimally sweet, however, by second harvest, it will be a lot better.
Just be sure to fertilize your tree at the correct times. A fertilizer with a high phosphorus content will allow the tree to make more fruits that are sweeter.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 7:42PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

7 years? Do you know what rootstock it's on? I was thinking about buying a Honeysweet.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 8:19PM
ltilton

No, I got it from Stark's. The last tree I'll buy from them, because of the rootstock issue.

I thought Honeysweet was a Seckel type, supposed to ripen on the tree. So the small size didn't concern me.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 8:26PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

I got one from Miller's and it's on its 3rd year of Neutral. Cut it back, got some growth a month ago. Enough to train a new leader? Nope. I have great hopes for my big Bartlett/Ayers next year. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 8:41PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

Supposedly Honeysweet is self-fertile and cold-hardy and also resistant to fire blight. It sounds like the perfect pear. I sure want to know what others have experienced. The rootstock I ordered it on is OHxF 87. It is a cross of Seckel.

Cummins' website says, "The fruit can be picked the 2nd week in September in Lafayette, Ind." It doesn't sound like it should have been over-ripe for you.

I remember a thread from a few months ago regarding bagged pears. You did mention that you had not had any problem with bagging them, but planatus put a link that was interesting regarding reduced quality. I decided not to bag mine after reading the article.

Could the bagging have caused this effect?

Here is a link that might be useful: BAGGING OF 'CONCORDE' PEARS .....

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 10:16PM
ltilton

milehigh - everything is so much earlier this year, it's hard to judge ripeness. I was expecting them to be maybe getting ripe, but not so far overripe. Disappointing.

That bagging study was with paper bags and I used ziplocks, which are clear, so I don't know how much that study would apply.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™