Crack in peach tree branch

jeepguy44August 6, 2014

I have a 3 year old peach tree that began producing a lot of peaches this year, We tried to thin them out, but we had hundreds.

During a recent storm one of the larger branches seemed to crack from the inside (as seen in the attached photo). This is one of three main branches. Everything on the branch seems to be doing well. Do I need to remove the branch or do anything to help it heal? I'm concerned that the crack could expose the tree to infestation or cold during the winter. Any advice would be appreciated. I definitely dont want to lose the tree, as the peaches were delicious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

As I'm sure you realize that limb was very near failure when fully loaded with peaches. If it still has fruit support the branch or remove most of the fruit. Next year leave way less fruit.

I'd probably wrap the branch after the fruit is off but it probably won't really help. The branch will need support or extra thinning for several yrs.

Thin the whole tree more or you risk this elsewhere. All peach set way too many fruit in good yrs. We all battle thinning. You just need to thin and thin again. It takes me three passes to get enough off.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 4:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
appleseed70

jeepguy, I was thinking all the same things as fruitnut. One additional thing I would do is to seal that bark crack for the very reasons you mentioned. There is a lot of dispute these days over whether or not to seal tree wounds. There are commercially available tree wound sealers available, but I've found a caulking gun with latex caulk works well. Take along a wet towel and use your finger to rub it in, filling voids and sealing entrance to fungus, insects etc. Use a gray or brown color to not be unsightly. When I spray, I spray insecticide/fungicide good on those areas and after it has dried I apply the caulking/sealant. The bark will heal underneath and push away the sealant as callous tissue is formed.

Like fruitnut said, the structural integrity is compromised on that limb, so baby it along for a few years and hopefully it will heal and knit up.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™