Green Plum Varieties

canadianplantAugust 5, 2012

Basically, Im wondering what cultivars of plums have green flesh and skin? I bought some at the store, Ontario grown, and was just wondering the type.

I went on the Agro ontario site, and they didnt list any plum on there, that was green flesh and skin, only "yellowish".

The only thing that really pops up when I google "Green plum", or "green flesh plum", is the "Greengage" plum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Emerald Beaut is a green skinned and green (greenish yellow) fleshed plum. I just bought some at the farmer's market, in fact, they're just coming in now. I love them because they are super sweet. Mine is just new this year, so hoping for some nice plum next season. There are several other yellow-green to green plums as well, but I think Emerald Beaut is one of the greener plums. There is the Wickson and the Kelsey (which is heart shaped), that are also pretty green, and quite good. And of course the Shiro. The flesh of all these will vary from golden to greenish. And of course, Green Gage plum is an old standby that I think is pretty good. Not as good as Emerald Beaut I don't think, but certainly a good plum.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 11:16PM
canadianplant

These guys are Ontario grown. I do believe cali and ontario grow different species (for the most part).

I do know recently Ontario has started to grow "greengage", but the only yellow/green flesh type that I seen that was widely planted was "shiro" ( the data may be from 2009 - 2010).

Im wondering, because greengage is said to have a good, change to grow true from seed ( as well as other green/yellow types )

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 9:43AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I can only say of Greengage because this is what I grow for maybe 10 years now, I love this one, nice and sweet when fully ripe on tree,..couldn't be sold this way, it would be too soft,.. perhaps you might consider.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 10:31PM
canadianplant

Well, I can say that the plums were delivered to the store very ripe. Most of them were actually over ripe when I ate some. Most were edible, super sweet and juicy, with a slight bitterness around the pit.

Greengage seems to be the mainstay "green/yellow" plum from what ive read. I had no idea it was hardy enough to make it up in Edmonton.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 8:49AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I was the first one to grow it here, including some other European prune plums, some years it's good, some years you have none. Surprisingly not much freeze back. This year will be a fairly good crop, not as good as this..

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 2:24AM
theaceofspades(7 Long Island)

There are many old seedling cultivars of Green Gage. I grow Oullins and it is great off the tree because birds think it is unripe green. Oullins is also larger than Green Gage.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 6:29AM
More Discussions
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
Best tasting pawpaw varieties
I would love to hear from others who have tasted different...
shane11
bees ignoring my plum blossoms
I stood and watched but never saw any bees on my Santa...
kittymoonbeam
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™