Spice Zee Nectaplum

justjohn(8 AR/LA Stateline)August 7, 2010

My young tree is having trouble, I think. The leaves are folding and the color isn't right. Sort of changing to a yellow shade. The ground isn't dry, I can feel dampness around the base, not muddy, just damp. It has been 100+ down here for about a solid week, no rain....drought actually. But, I've watered with a garden hose. Any thoughts, hate to lose another tree (2 sour/2 sweet cherries kicked the bucket this month).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

John:

Your tree doesn't look too bad. Not great either. Guess I'd have to say rather drought stressed. It is still growing slowly. You'll probably get a boat load of rain soon and it's not going to die just from being dry.

Any idea what killed the cherry? I lost some recently to bacterial canker of the rootstock.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 5:59PM
justjohn(8 AR/LA Stateline)

Deer mowed one down and kept it down till it gave up the ghost. I'm guessing the heat killed the other cherries. I was told that cherries are a cool climate tree, but I wanted to try anyway. I'll stay with what works around here from now on. I placed my order for 4 apricots from the place you suggested, hope they do well...nobody else around here grows them. Thanks for looking over the pictures of the nectaplum!

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 6:38PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

John:

I just looked at my Spice Zee. It looks a little better than yours. About the same age and size. I want to say yours looks nitrogen deficient. Mine does some too but they have those red changing to green leaves. My Baby Crawford peach looks worse than your Spice Zee. But this time of year there's not much to do but wait and see what happens.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Apple Pruning Advice
Can someone tell me if it would be a good idea to prune...
Dan Liptak
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Jujube hardiness zones
According to Willisorchards.com the Li and Lang Jujube...
garprob1
Looking for Carmine Jewel Cherries?
I know a lot of people are looking for carmine jewel...
clarkinks
Sponsored Products
Furniture of America Soccer Twin over Twin Bunk Bed with Storage Drawers Multico
$699.98 | Hayneedle
Blue Ivory and Gray Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$506.00 | Bellacor
Red Kenwood Reversible Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Rotating Utensil Holder - White
| Dot & Bo
Cinnamon Spice Oatmeal Linen Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Lima Soft Blue 8 ft. x 11
Home Depot
Summer Breeze 18-inch Throw Pillow in Crimson