Avocado too tall to support itself

lifespeed(9B San Jose)August 25, 2013

I guess this is a common problem with these trees; the tree goes faster than the spindly trunk can support. This Don Gillogly Avocado is 6 years old and 15' high. Yet the trunk is only 3 inches across.

If it weren't for the excellent steel stake holding it up it would be lying on the ground. Indeed it was one day when I came home and the rubber strap hard broken!

Should I cut about 4' off the top? I know you're not supposed to "head" trees.

I guess this is a common problem with these trees. This Don Gillogly Avocado is 6 years old and 15' high. Yet the trunk is only 3 inches across.

If it weren't for the excellent steel stake holding it up, it would be lying on the ground. Indeed it was one day when I came home and the rubber strap had broken!

Should I cut about 4' off the top? I know you're not supposed to "head" trees.

Click the photos for hi-res.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_in_los_osos

Yes, the best time for controlling the height has sort of slipped by. It would have been better to pinch out the tip of the vertical growth frequently to encourage branching and slow down the ascent.

But...if you want to be able to reach your avocados, I'd certainly cut it back. They cut back avocado trees in the fields all the time, sometimes a lot more drastically. Just watch out for sunburn if you remove too much canopy. May need to do a little painting.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™