What do you think this is!!!!

dch1112August 2, 2012

Hi, I am posting this pix from a rogue plant that is growing under my deck. The largest is in the pix and is football shaped. The plant now has 3 fruits that look like this along with vines that are 15-20' long.... It looks like some type of a melon..... I'm going to wait until the stem gets brown to pick it.....but any help in advance on what you think it is would be a great help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iamzvonko(5)

Funny, I have the exact same question. Sorry to piggy-back on your post but I also have a "rogue" plant that has something that looks like a melon but I don't know what kind of melon.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 5:57PM
BSmith321(6)

Both look like a cantaloupe from leaf pattern, size, and color.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 5:59PM
spladle160

The first one is a watermelon, wait until the curly cue at the intersection of the stem and vine turns completely brown then pick it. The second one looks like a cantaloupe but I'm less sure.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 6:10PM
denninmi(8a)

Sorry, but the first one is NOT a watermelon. It is some variety of Cucumis melo, not Citrullus.

The exact type won't be known until ripening. But odds are it will be something good, it most likely came from a seed out of someone's melon, perhaps out of the trash, compost, or seeds put out for the birds, likely "planted" by a squirrel, chipmunk, or mouse.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 7:43PM
iamzvonko(5)

If you plant cantaloupes in a spot, do they come back next year even if you don't plant them there again? I am sure I didn't plant any cantaloupe in that spot this year but I did last year.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:03PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Magic garden.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 11:52PM
pearlgirl

Whatever they are...I'm thinking "awesome"!

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 5:20AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

If they end up netted they're muskmelons. Anything netted is a muskmelon! Canteloupes (and some muskmelons) are not netted. Most "canteloupes" you see in stores are mislabeled. I guess the name 'muskmelon' doesn't sell very well. They're still several weeks from ripening.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:05AM
iamzvonko(5)

edweather - what do you mean by "netted"?

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 9:55PM

As they get closer to maturity, most muskmelons develope what looks like a net-like covering on the surface. Actually, on your photo, if you look closely, you can the net developing.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:44PM
dch1112

Hey thanks to all for the help...... I took another pix yesterday of the bottom of the fruit....So I assume from what edweather said this is netted and a muskmelon?

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 6:20AM
ltilton

Not all netted melons are muskmelons, but it's some relative.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 11:35AM

What netted melons aren't muskmelons?

In a quote from Amy Goldman's book, Melons for the Passionate Grower, on page 44 she states, "Reticulatus: Muskmelon and Persian Melon, The hallmark of this grouping of melons is the reticulated or netlike tissue that covers the rind............Muskmelon is a breed separate and apart, yet we persist in mislabeling it "cantaloupe."

Now there are some smooth skinned muskmelons too, as well as cantaloupes, but I don't know of any netted melons that aren't muskmelons, but I'm always open to learning something new.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™