FIreblight or Copper Burn

mes111(5b -Purling NY & 7b -Nassau County NY)August 22, 2014

Last week I noticed some black areas on some pear leaves. From some photos It looked as if it could have been FB.
From what I read, at this time of year copper could possibly inhibit further spread.

So I did a quick copper spray. Now, a week later, it has spread a lot but still does not look convincingly to be FB. No sheperd shook.
does this look like FB or some sort of COPPER BURN.

The varieties affected are Seckel, Keiffer, Highland, Orcas, Ubileen, & Conference.

Any ideas

Thanx, Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mes111(5b -Purling NY & 7b -Nassau County NY)

Another

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 5:41PM

And...

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 5:43PM

Bump...

I don't see any evidence of this traveling into the branches and am wondering and HOPING that this could be so other fungal disease instead of Fireblight.

Never thought that I would be hoping for a fungal attack

Any thoughts?
Thanx
Mike

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 1:52PM
alan haigh

I get a lot of that on pears and have yet to identify the problem, but it isn't fireblight and it is related to high humidity. I don't think the copper played any role.

If you bring it to your cooperative extension let us know what they say. It's a bad year for that here- even at a site where I'm spraying a pear fungicide every two weeks.

It's never done any permanent damage to pears I manage and where the lawn sprinklers hit the leaves it is worse.

Maybe I will finally get around to bringing in a branch myself.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 2:36PM

Thanx H'man,

The last 2 weeks did see rain here with hardly any wind to dry things off and daytime temps goldilocks perfect.

Mike

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 9:20PM
appleseed70

I had a touch of it on my Potomac pear last year. I was anxiously awaiting an answer too. I did know it wasn't fireblight, but had no idea what it was. It hasn't returned this year. The Red Bartlett right next to it was unaffected. I'd really like to hear a named diagnosis of it.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 11:08AM
alan haigh

On years with truly excessive rain it happens to the apples as well and nothing really looks healthy, but the trees gather all they need to survive.

Getting it named will probably not help control it because I have a couple of pears suffering from it that have been sprayed with a mixture of Pristine and Flint- two excellent fungicides for diseases with similar appearance, and should have been well protected when the issue appeared. I expect it is one of those lesser maladies that there is no treatment for or I would likely have 'heard' of it by now.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 12:27PM
appleseed70

I know sulfur seemed to have no beneficial effect.

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 1:35AM
More Discussions
Methusala date palm reproduces
Judean date http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/tree-grown-2000-year-old-seed-has-reproduced-180954746/?utm_source=facebook.com&no-ist...
canadianplant
hard freeze coming & peach trees are blooming!
any tricks for saving the fruit?? this happened last...
rober49
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™