D. kaki rootstock for NC?

cousinfloydAugust 29, 2012

I just ordered a couple persimmons (izu and saijo) from Burnt Ridge but I'm concerned about their rootstocks and was hoping to get some advice/reassurance. They said they use kaki and virginiana rootstocks and although I said I only wanted to order if I could get virginiana rootstocks, I felt like my concerns were being brushed aside more than I felt reassured that they actually maintain separate inventory for trees on different rootstocks and can actually tell me what I'd get. I was expecting either virginiana or lotos rootstock, which is what I've heard people here suggest, but I haven't heard anyone talk about kaki rootstocks as a good idea for the mid-Atlantic/upper Southeast, and I've heard suggestions of virginiana offering better cold tolerance. I know kakis can die in cold years here. Should I cancel my order because of the rootstock?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Cousinfloyed,

You can call Michael at Burnt Ridge and talk to him personally. Explain to him that you want Virginiana rootstocks for hardiness. I think Scott live in zone 6-7 and Lotus rootstocks did just fine for him. I have several Kakis grafted on Kaki rootstocks that I testing it this winter. I will see if they survive this winter with protection in zone 5a.

Tony

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™