First year strawberry patch

z5gardenerAugust 6, 2013

Hi. I wanted to get a little more advice than what I got from Nourse. I planted 25 Jewel (June-bearing) and 25 Mara Des Bois (ever-bearing). I'd appreciate any advice on how to start a successful berry patch.

For the Jewel, the directions say to allow 2-3 daughter plants to root on each side of the plant and to remove any additional runners. Do you trim the runners that form past the daughter plant also?

For the ever-bearing, the directions don't really say whether you should trim any of the runners. So do you let them all stay wherever they go, move them and let them root, or trim some?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Re the Jewels, when did you plant them...spring? I didn't allow any runners the first year, but probably could have allowed a couple like they suggested, and yes, remove any additional runners. Sorry but I don't know much about ever-bearing.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 11:44AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

delete double post

This post was edited by edweather on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 11:46

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 11:45AM
z5gardener

Yes, they were planted in the spring. So remove runners that continue after a daughter plant also? I read on some websites that removing runners can damage the parent plant, so I was hesitant to remove too much for fear of that.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 6:33PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

I have never heard that removing runners hurts the plant. Not removing some sure CAN hurt them.

I started a new patch last year [Jewel, Earliglow, and Mesabi] and intend to have it bear 3 years with good care. I let the runners go out farther than 1 plant. [probably letting the mother make a dozen new ones.] Yes, it is import to keep the plants spaced about 6 inches apart. I had a tremendous crop this spring.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Growing Fruit Trees in Raised Beds
Hi, Glad to reconnect with the gardenweb again (I used...
tuvalu39
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™