Want to plant a Haas avocado tree

serkhab(9)August 25, 2012

Hello,

I recently purchased a Haas avocado tree and the tag said it needed a cross pollinator so I went out and bought a bacon avocado tree also. I just planted them about 10 feet apart, is this too far for them to cross pollinate? Also will they both bear fruit or will only one of the trees? Thanks in advance to any who reply, it will help me out a lot as I am new to gardening the proper way lol.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

10 feet apart is plenty close enough. They both will bear fruit (Hass is an A avocado and Bacon is a B, they will cross pollinate each other). Be sure to plant is a warm, sunny place. A south-facing slope is ideal. Allow the leaves to drop and stay under the tree, do not remove. PLENTY of water (best to set up a drip so they receive a nice deep watering 2 to 3 times a week, depending upon how hot it is in your area, no mention of where you live, Sunset zone, etc in you "My Page" line), but make sure drainage is good, as avocados do not tolerate wet roots. It make take a couple of years for your trees to start bearing.

Patty Sliney

Here is a link that might be useful: University of California ANR: Avocados

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 11:06PM
fabaceae_native

Sounds like you're in good shape for cross pollination. Flying insects do the work and have no trouble crossing even greater distances than 10 feet. Also, they should both bear fruit.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 11:22PM
serkhab(9)

I live in Sacramento,California and it gets very hot here during the summer but I think the intense heat has passed. The soil where I planted the trees in was dry and hard, I am guessing that is not very good as far as drainage goes, any way to improve water drainage? Also, in between the 2 trees there is a peach tree that has fallen but the trunk is still there and is about 5 feet tall,( was much taller and produced lots of very good peaches) can that negatively affect the avocado trees in any way? Thanks for useful information.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 5:26AM
More Discussions
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™