Stepped on a watermelon, will it be alright?

USSPythonAugust 12, 2014

I'm currently growing some icebox (sugar baby) watermelons. I was watering and I backed up a bit too much and stepped on one of the melons. It's about the size of my fist and there isn't any apparent damage as of yet. Will the watermelon still grow alright? This is the largest of the 4 that are currently growing on the plant so I'd be disappointed to see it gone. Also, on the same plant, one of the shoots has 2 melons growing on it, in somewhat close proximity to one another. Should I clip the smaller one in order to let the older one grow more? The smaller one appears to have just started recently while the older one has been growing for at least a week or two.

TL;DR Will the watermelon I stepped on (lightly) be alright if it appears to be fine?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

It doesn't take much to damage a small watermelon. Check it in a week or so and if it still looks alright it's probably OK. My experience is with hail damage. Any dent or mark in the outer rind usually causes the fruit to rot as it nears maturity.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 10:06PM
don555(3a)

Not sure what to say about the stepped-on melon, you'll just have to watch it and see if there is any damage that causes it to rot. As for the melons growing close to each other, they will be fine. Here's a pic from my melon patch last year around this time, both of these grew bigger (I think they ended up touching each other) and ripened and were deliciious!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 4:33AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

As long as you didn't crack the rind you should be ok. I had some insects dig at my watermelons when they were small. The insects (or chipmunk, not sure) took some pretty good digs out the rind, but luckily it wasn't too deep. They scared over and grew ok.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™