zestar apple tree

grape-2006August 14, 2013

Are zestar apples sweet like honeycrisps? Is zestar easy to grow

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northernmn(3/4)

I think that they are as sweet as honeycrisp but I don't think they have the same crispy crunch that honeycrisp does. My zestrar and honeycrisp are both growing at the same pace. Kind of slow, but I am also 2.5 zones colder than you as well.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:35PM
alan haigh

Zestar has similar crispness as Honeycrisp (giant cells that break instead of part while you chew) and is much easier to grow as it performs here in southern NY. I can't remember if it is as crunchy or just similarly so.

By easier, I mean it isn't as likely to get black rot (if that's the rot I so often see on Honeycrisp) and they don't drop early and become tasteless if it's too hot and humid around ripening time.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 5:51AM
tedgrowsit(6b PA)

Zestar! trees are easy to grow. They maintain a slender form, don't seem to have any particular disease problems, and produce apples I consider to be better than Honeycrisp. They have a bit more intensity of flavor, sweet with an acid tang. We are enjoying them right now here in SE PA. They are not as crisp as HCrisp, and the flesh seems to melt as you chew. With its apparent merits, I decided to plant 25 of them on our new farming enterprise of 4 acres. Very nice apples that are easy to grow. Ted

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 9:24PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Grandpa's has a sale on them.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 9:00AM
alan haigh

By the way, I was wrong about them having similar crispness to Honeycrisp and Ted pretty much nailed it with his description. My memory failed me, which I realized when eating them last summer, but I knew it was a really nice apple that is much less fussy than Honeycrisp.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Early varieties of blackberry
Hi all, Are there any varieties of blackberry that...
CaraRose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™