Whats your favorite strawberry?

poolecw(Georgia 7b)August 29, 2013

I'm getting ready to order 50 plugs for some fall planting. I'm trying to determine which variety to get so I figured I poll the masses. I'm in northwest GA (straddling the fence on Zones 7 and 8). I want a good June bearing variety that is good for the freezer and good for selling at the farmer's market.

Two varieties I'm looking at are the Sweet Charlie and the Chandler but am open to any others.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kittymoonbeam

I'm in CA and Chandler is the best tasting for me and is grown widely in the fields here. I used to love a strawberry called Douglas but can't find it anymore.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 11:16PM
CaraRose

Quinaults for everbearers, the berries are a bit small, but they pretty much produce non-stop.
Sequoia for june bearing.

I have mine all in containers.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 12:10AM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

My very favorite is Albion, but it's not a June-bearer.

I have Sweet Charlie and like him. He's not as prolific as I'd hoped. It tastes very good and is very healthy, just not as vigorous or productive as my others. He's my only named June-bearer. My favorite was given to me by a friend, and I have no idea the variety name.

Other favorites I have: Seascape and Diamante (Diamonte?).

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 12:37AM
mrsg47(7)

My favorite is a day-neutral strawberry called 'Mara des Bois'. It is a berry the size of a quarter or smaller and has the essence of strawberry flavor to me. It bears very well in the spring and the second crop, about now, is smaller but just as delicious. Mrs. G

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 10:29AM
ltilton

I just started some Chandler and the variety seems to be very vigorous. They survived transplant better than the other variety I started, Cavendish, and have been throwing off runners like mad.

Please tell me where you are getting plugs in 50 quantities for fall planting!

This post was edited by ltilton on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 13:58

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 11:02AM
poolecw(Georgia 7b)

Itilton- Ison's Nursery is selling plugs for Oct delivery. They are a bit pricey but I hear nothing but great things from them. They are the foremost authority on muscadines.

http://www.isons.com/

This post was edited by poolecw on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 13:02

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 1:01PM
HeyJude2012(10b/24 San Diego)

I have a couple of different varieties. The Sequoia is my favorite big strawberry and I have some Mara de bois that are fabulous and some frais de bois that are even more fabulous but the berries are teeny tiny. I also have Tristan which are nice and flavorful and have very pretty fushia pink flowers and then I have quinalt which are good.

I am not knowledgeable enough to say which is June bearing and which is everbearing. I just plant them and away they go!!!

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 5:32PM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Sweetcharlie!

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™