Prelude raspberries in the South

neptune24August 21, 2012

Has anyone on here ever successfully grown Prelude raspberries in the South? If not, what other varieties would you recommend for the South? (Except for Dorman Red, which are supposed to have very little flavor.) My Taylor raspberry is doing quite well in its very first year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

I like my mysore raspberries very much..thorny though.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 10:25AM
neptune24

Thanks, bamboo_rabbit. I'll check them out!

I guess:

thorns = my sore ;)

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 2:29AM
neptune24

OK, I looked up Mysore raspberries, and now I have a question, bamboo_rabbit. Will they survive temps below 15 F?

I'm also looking at Baba raspberries, but I'll post a separate thread about that.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 8:28AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

I don't know and hope to heck I never find out. They do fine at the mid 20's. The leaves get burned off but the canes take that cold no problem and leaf and fruit great come spring.

They like to get partial sun....the lit says morning sun but mine get 100% morning shade and sun from about 2:00 to 5:00 and seem to love it.

They are almost 100% pest free.

The only trouble I have with them (other than the vicious thorns) is if our winter is too warm and they think it is spring and start pushing new growth and flowers.....cold then in the sap filled canes will cause them to split and will destroy the Floricanes and you will get no fruit that year. That is not something you will have to worry about.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 8:55AM
neptune24

Thanks for the additional info, bamboo_rabbit.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 3:03AM
planatus(6)

If you don't have a primocane like Heritage, I would add one. It's nice to get fall raspberries in years when too much rain hurts the summer ones. The spring crop tastes better than the fall one, but it's still nice to have raspberries in Aug-Sept.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 8:18AM
neptune24

Thanks, planatus. I actually do have a Heritage that I planted last year. It's certainly alive, but the leaves got pretty burnt from the hot July. Most of it looks quite raggedy, except for the new growth from the past couple of weeks. And it's not exactly setting the world on fire with fruit either. I got 3-4 berries in June, and now it looks like it's ramping up for several more for next month. But frankly I'm just grateful it's still alive. :)

Maybe there are other everbearing varieties that can take the heat better?

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 8:43AM
shazaam(NC 7B)

After experimenting with raspberries here in NC for a few years, I've come to the conclusion that I should focus on varieties that crop early. This year, I had good crops on my Black Hawk, Prelude, Heritage (floricanes that I left standing last fall), and Royalty plants in May and early June. I was really impressed with my rambling patch of Heritage canes. They've never produced a lot of berries on primocanes -- that's why I decided to try for a second-year crop. By contrast, my Heritage, Autumn Bliss, and Caroline primocanes have produced paltry crops so far, in large part, I assume, to a combination of heat and insect pressure (wasps and yellow jackets, primarily). I'll add that virtually all of my plants get morning sun, afternoon shade, and supplemental irrigation in dry weather.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™