Pomegranate Questions

Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)September 14, 2013

I got a pair of pomegranates on the end of the season sale, Parfianka and Eversweet, I would like to grow them more as a hedge/screen.

But, can they deal with some shade? The neighbors have a massive oak tree at the opposite side of the property from my pome zone, but the tree throws a lot of shade at various times of the day/year.

And if I move my other pome, Red Angel, to add to the screen, when is the best time to move one? It has only been planted a couple of years but it seems to want to be more a bush than a taller tree shape so rather than fight with it I would like to move.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

If you are in one of those very sunny parts of CA you can put up with several hours of shade a day - then you will be down to east coast conditions :-) It all depends on how many hours, I would say you need 5-6 hours of sun.

Poms can be moved any time they are fully dormant (no leaves).

Scott

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 8:31AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Kippy,

They will grow with the shade but fruit production will be reduced to some degree. You can move the plants when dormant and they take the move pretty well. I ended up moving an entire hedge of them, almost 200 feet long when I fenced the property. Did not lose any but did slow them down some. Some of the poms were an evergreen variety and they were not happy with the move but recovered.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 10:14AM
MrClint

My poms sit in a bit of a grotto where they get about 6hrs of full sun, but they get reflective heat and light, which makes for bright shade for the rest of the day. You may have an issue if the shade is deep, dark and cool like you would see on the north side of a building.

I've never transplanted poms, but I don't think it would be too difficult with a smallish tree. There are a couple of different schools of thought on how to do it, and since poms are pretty forgiving, just pick a reliable resource and follow their instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: transplanting pomegranate trees

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 11:22AM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Thanks for the link MrClint, I had done a google search too. My plant is small, not that much bigger than the 2 newly purchased plants so pruning and digging up is not that big of a challenge.

Thanks for the shade info Bamboo. The giant CA Oak is a real problem in our yard. It has already over taken a few trees in the yard and pretty well killed them off from the shade. But I think it is close to the limit of how much it can grow and this is the opposite corner. The persimmons do well there. I have been watching my planting holes, the shade comes and goes through out the day. It is at its worst in the winter, but the pomes are dormant then anyway.

Thanks Scott. I was hoping some one would have info that they transplant well any time....lol I am impatient. But since the garden has many things for me to finish up, I will have a great hole waiting for the day the leaves are done falling.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Apple Pruning Advice
Can someone tell me if it would be a good idea to prune...
Dan Liptak
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
Blueberry
I stumbled on 3 strong mature (about 1ft heigh and...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
4 yr old methley plum tree is yet to flower
I live in Dallas, Texas. I have a 4 yr old methley...
fruits_veggies
Sponsored Products
Bath Authority DreamLine Aqua Clear Glass Tub Door
Modern Bathroom
Gelato Blue Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$167.04 | Bellacor
Mini-Monty Red Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$257.04 | Bellacor
Frasier Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Mixed Silk Peony Arrangement with Glass Vase
Overstock.com
Metall F. Cooper Floor Lamp by Ingo Maurer
$1,700.00 | Lumens
Americh Zephyr 7236 ADA Tub (72" x 36" x 18")
Modern Bathroom
Carolina Panthers Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™