Looking for peach scion: Dixigem or Coronet

milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)September 5, 2012

My sister-in-law's family used to own an orchard in Oregon with a peach called, "Dixie Gem". I would like to find someone who has this tree. When I asked if I could get scion I was flatly refused; probably an non-proliferation agreement. Her father apparently had the trees custom grafted.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine it is also called, "Dixigem". Clemson University lists it as one of the parents of "Coronet".

I would even be happy with the seeds from this variety.

I've been searching for several years now. The closest I have gotten is Cumberland Valley, which sells Coronet, but they require $100.00 minimum (17 trees).

I found this old article from Auburn University that has some information about Dixigem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach varieties for Alabama

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

Amazing. My uncle grew the variety Dixie Gem as part of his commercial orchards in 1965. This was near the town of Aurora, Oregon.

Although the Auburn article calls it medium-sized, the Dixie Gems I ate were larger than softballs, almost filling a soup bowl. Must have weighed nearly a pound. My uncle did thin his peaches.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 11:48PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

larry_gene,

Yes, the Dixie Gem I am talking about are huge and they are meltingly delicious and juicy and boy I want to get my hands on one of those trees.

The U-pick I am speaking of is in Aurora, so maybe it's the same one.

If I recall they were ripe in mid-July.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 12:06AM
larry_gene

We used to eat them outside because they made such a juicy mess, you almost had to head straight for the shower to clean up. In 1965 there was no U-pick, just commercial harvest for Elbertas and I think the Dixie Gems were just for family use. In years after, they were obviously getting a larger Dixie crop. I have not been there for many years.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 11:53PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

larry_gene,

The trees in this particular orchard are about 25 years old. I know that they were custom grafted. The peaches are very fragile and cannot be shipped. It doesn't sound like the "Dixigem" grown in the South.

I guess it's time to just give up.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 1:11AM
More Discussions
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™