stinkbugs/ Asian pears

creekweb(6,7)September 2, 2013

I've seen a definite decline in stinkbug numbers and damage this year after two years of increases, and although I have seen them on a number of different species this year, I really have only had damage on my Asian pears.

Last year they caused complete loss of the crop, so I tried double bagging the fruit this year with the thicker freezer bags as well as periodic spraying with triazicide.Still seeing about 70% damaged with lesser degree of damage on the bagged fruit. My plan for next year is to bag the bags and go with frequent regular spraying instead. It's sad to see this spray-free fruit of just a few years ago become so high maintenance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creekweb(6,7)

Another observation of note is that the damage to the variety Hosui is complete, and the variety Kosui extensive. These pears are very sweet without any complex flavor. The variety Chojuro is nearly as sweet but flavorful and shows little damage. Korean Giant also shows little damage and is still far from ripe. Shinseiki showed moderate damage.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 10:50AM
mrsg47(7)

Creekweb do you just grow Asian pears? If you have any European pears is the stinkbug problem the same? This sounds horrible. Sorry, Mrs. G

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 11:41AM
creekweb(6,7)

Last year there was significant stinkbug damage to raspberries, figs and peaches along with Asian pears. This year I've seen an occasional stinkbug on these species, but no damage from this source on the fruit other than Asian pears. I'm hoping this is a trend rather than just an off year for stinkbugs for some climatic reason. European pears were not targets in my orchard as far as I can tell. Just thought I'd report in case anyone was having similar problems. If I were to plant more under the same stinkbug pressure I would choose Chojuro or Korean Giant.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Water and other issues with young peach tree
I have a peach tree that was transplanted last spring...
sheckylovejoy
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
new orchard - a few questions
I'd like to start a small orchard on a recently purchased...
Fiona Kerr
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Delray Lin Ivory 7' 10" x 10'
Home Depot
Area Rug: Country Living Pear 5' x 8' Flatweave
Home Depot
2-light Wright Indoor Table Lamp
Grandin Road
Home Dynamix 5115 Evolution Area Rug - Black - 5115-450-EVOLUTION 2
$189.99 | Hayneedle
Taupe Nailhead-Trim Side Chair - Set of Two
$269.99 | zulily
1-light Pear-shape Matte Black/ Crystal Contemporary Chandelier
Overstock.com
New Turkish Double Knotted 10'x15' Mocha Khotan Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H7216
BH Sun Inc
Cabin Fever Rectangular Bistro Brown Drawer End Table - 121-OT1020
$256.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™