Any info on what I can grow in Uruguay?

price403(Zone 6b, WV)September 2, 2012

I'm thinking of moving to Uruguay and want to find as much information on what I can grow there before I go. I already know I can grow most of my vegetable varieties, but I have no idea what fruits/nuts will grow there. I've seen a little information on what is produced commercially, but nothing on what people grow in their back yards. Can anybody help me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

If you are going to Montevideo I found the climate data below. Mild all year around with 3-4 inches rain every month. Citrus and other subtropicals will do well. You could also grow things like apples. Stone fruit would be difficult with that much rain and humidity. There should be lots of fruit planted around homes in that type climate. Learn from the locals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Montevideo climate

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 10:14AM
applenut_gw

The most limiting factor when growing apples in the tropics is excessive rainfall during blossoming, which keeps pollinators from flying and knocks the petals off; it looks like that won't be a problem for you; there is enough of a change between seasons however that you won't be getting two crops a year as is common around the equator. Florida Prince peach will also be no problem.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 6:42AM
price403(Zone 6b, WV)

Thanks for the info, everybody! I'm going to try and get on a expat forum and see if anybody there has any more info on varieties of fruits. I'll post what I find here in case anybody else is thinking about going south.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 10:23AM
fabaceae_native

I always love posts like this because they make me think about the climate, etc. in other places.

price, I'm not sure that you'd want to grow apples and stone fruit, simply because you would have so many other more exotic things to try. While you might not be able to grow true tropicals like mangoes and coconuts, there are many many things to choose from in the "subtropical" group.

In a similar humid subtropical climate in Japan, the following seemed to grow out of cracks in the pavement:
- citrus, many types
- persimmon
- fig
- pomegranate
- kiwi
- ume
- loquat
- avocado
- temperate fruits (apple, pear, cherry, plum, peach, etc..)

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 1:46PM
larry_gene

Feijoa is native to parts of nearby Paraguay, but I think it is at higher elevations.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 11:52PM
price403(Zone 6b, WV)

Here's the most extensive list of what can be grown almost anywhere in the country of Uruguay. Some fruits/vegetables do better the farther north you go since the winters are warmer in the north.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good list of what can be grown in Uruguay

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 2:10PM
kokopelli5a

Visited Buenos Aires not far away from MV many years ago. My recollection is that it had a climate not unlike Paris, France. Not subtropical. Think I'd investigate European plums in a climate like that.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 1:59PM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

You can grow darn near anything. I think Mangoes are a no.

Join Sociedad Southron for local information about Uruguay.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™