Sometimes they seems to do best all on their own...

windfall_rob(vt4)September 29, 2013

I swung past my favorite local feral tree today looking for a few bushels as base for some sweet cider.
It's one of those trees that has never seen any care and yet is near perfectly formed, shows no sign of scab or other fungal issues and drops tons of fantastic and clean fruit (every other year).

It always strikes me how I can fuss over my own trees, pruning spreading branches, spraying all season, thinning, etc......
And yet here is a tree that consistently produces fruit as clean, well sized, and colored as anything I get off my own.

I understand some of it. It has a wonderful location all alone out in the middle of field, good soils, great sun exposure, and lots of air movement.
Clearly it is near scab immune as I have never seen any on it..

..but what about the bugs? Why does it get so little damage? Although it is all alone from a growth standpoint, there are other ferals within thirty yards...the whole valley is full of them. Bear and deer do scour the drops at this tree always (they like this variety too!)

I see this here and there, and I am sure some component of it is gentic, but grafts from trees like this rarely perform quite as well. Being on their own roots could be part of the equation, and I think microclimate plays in as well. Sometimes it makes me think there are some pieces of the puzzle we just are not getting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Biomed(6)

Air-layering will give you identical tree on its own root. You should try it.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 8:54AM
calistoga_al

If I don't spray for codling moth I get a worm in every apple. The cider is still pretty good however. Al

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 10:23AM
alan haigh

Some varieties are not attractive to Plum Curculio but in Z4 that is probably not a pest in your profile. Here it is late, hard apples that tend to have this attribute. It is not surprising to me that you have a wild apple not susceptible to your common pests.

If you want a closer related rootstock, sprout some seeds from it and then, if needed, you can graft a piece from mom. Some varieties of apples actually do come close to parent if they are self fertile, or so I've read.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 10:36AM
ravenh2001

I had the new granny smith of New england. A green 2.5 inch apple with a tart but pleasantly sweet taste. 90% mark free (no scab or worms). The land owner was a friend and when he put a road in for a subdivision I took a few grafts. I grafted onto a seedling in a rock wall bordering my small orchard and it grew like it was on steroids. I spray it when I spray the other trees but has turned into a pest magnet. Makes a marshall mac look good. the original tree is gone now and so is my plan for a retirement on 1.25 per tree to retire on.(still makes good cider).

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™