Raspberry fruit worm

briergardener_gwSeptember 27, 2009

This year my raspberries gave me a bad time.

Half of july crop berries contained worms inside.

I have read about raspberry fruitworm beetle that it emerges in May, so i assumed that my fall crop will be safe.

Now i have even worse problem with fall crop, almost every berry has a worm inside.

Does it mean that beetle stays around for more than one "round" of egg laying? something else?

Anybody knows how successfully fight this pest?

I have a lot of green berries on my bushes now, should i hope that they are OK or should i just cut tops of branches into garbage bin?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitgirl

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you might be finding spotted wing drosophila maggots in your fruit. SWD is a new pest. Are they small (smaller than a grain of rice) and white?

Where do you live?

I posted a link to the thread I started about SWD a few weeks ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: SWD post

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 1:11PM
briergardener_gw

Thank you, fruitgirl, for information.
I live in Washington, near Seattle. From the reading, i see that i got SWD.
I will miss my raspberries if i will not find how to fight fly organically.
I managed to fight currant fly with covering bushes after they finished flowering with a net, but raspberries are not flowering all at the same time, covering can be a problem.

Have you read about usage of used coffee drounds?
I am going to cover soil around my raspberries with coffee ground (thanks to Starbucks) hoping that cofein will kill pupae.

Any thoughts or info on this approach?

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 9:00AM
fruitgirl

A net probably isn't going to work, unless it's a really, really, really fine one. These are "fruit flies" like the kind you get flying around bananas and stuff that you leave sitting on your counter...so, the adults are really tiny! And you'd have to leave the net on when the fruit is ripening, not when they are flowering, as the adult female lays eggs in ripening fruit, not flowers.

I don't know if coffee grounds would be effective, because the larvae can pupate inside the fruit, so the cofein might not ever touch the pupae, especially if the pupae forms and the adult emerges before the fruit drops to the ground.

There is a product made by Dow called GF 120 that is OMRI approved. It's a bait. If you don't want to spray it on your plants, you can put it in a container in your planting. The blog that I linked to in my first post should have some instructions for use of GF 120.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 11:24AM
briergardener_gw

I was using very tight net, actually fabric used to make bride's veils, on my current bushes.
I have read about CF 120 (thanks for link). This might be a plan for next year, but i wanted to try to kill pupae that are currently in soil near raspberry bushes because i failed to collect all fallen berries.
Will try coffee grounds.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 11:55PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

It was said "I was using very tight net, actually fabric used to make bride's veils,"

I suspect SWD could get through that. They are half the size of the nuisance fruit flies -- aka vinegar flies -- that hang around your fruit bowls.

Two nice informative blurbs here
http://oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/IPPM/index.shtml

Here is a link that might be useful: spotted wing Drosophila (SWD)

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 1:42AM
More Discussions
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™