where to plant caroline raspberry

ffreidlSeptember 2, 2013

I just bought a lovely Caroline raspberry plant in a pot and I'm debating where to plant it. My situation is a bit limited so no place is ideal, but here are the options:

1) Plant in already existing raised beds that have had tomatoes in them in the past and have shown signs of verticillium.

2) Make a new raised bed or plant in ground, but close to the tomato beds because that's one of my few sunny spots.
(worried the plant will still get verticillium).

3) Plant in a container on my deck. (Do container planted fruits taste as good as in-ground plants?)

4) Pull a patch of wild black caps and make a raised bed there - risk of disease from brambles, but on the other hand, the brambles obviously like it there so maybe, excepting the potential disease issue, it's a natural place for berries..?

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
curtis(5)

I don't like pots long term myself. But if you go that route find that section of this forum and get the right soil mix or you will wind up with a drowned plant come next springs continuous rains. I don't think there is a flavor problem with potted.

Myself, I would risk the bramble spot, but that is based on the ignorance of never having had a problem.

I have given away raspberry starts that outgrow my bed and even those in like 50% sun are giving berries.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 11:25AM
ffreidl

Thanks cckw. One vote for bramble spot. Glad to hear that yours fruit even with less than full sun. yes, I've been reading everything over at the container plant forum. Would still prefer to put them in the ground.

Anyone else care to venture an opinion?

Any thoughts on whether cultivated red raspberries actually do well in same conditions as wild black caps?

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 11:46AM
jtburton

One Caroline raspberry won't produce a meaningful amount of raspberries by itself but in a year or two it will produce a lot of new plants from suckers that will require more space and then you get some production. With that in mind, you should probably try to build out a new bed with enough room for the raspberry to spread. If you want to use the existing bed, you could replace the soil which should reduce the risk of wilt.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 6:41PM
ffreidl

JT: "you could replace the soil which should reduce the risk of wilt"

With regards to that, how deep in the soil would verticillium reside? I can replace soil in the beds, but any soil would still be in contact with the earth underneath.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:46AM
jtburton

How deep are your raised beds? You could remove the soil in the bed until it was even with the surrounding ground, put down some plastic sheeting, and then build your bed higher on the sheeting. 12" high raised bed seems like enough for Caroline. I grow mine less in less soil and they work out fine. You could drill periodic holes along the outside bottom for improved drainage. I have read you can also fumigate the soil with some success.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
What is happening to my Apple Tree? Fixes?
We purchased this tree and planted it a year ago. ...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Gophers killing apple trees... Help!
Gophers have killed 2 roses and one prized apple tree...
peteramu
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™