Insect and fungus report 2012

mrsg47(7)September 20, 2012

Needless to say it was a very odd weather year. The fall is behaving like it should. Getting cooler each evening. I can now safely say, due do the suggested spray schedule and combination of sprays provided by H-man, Glenn and Olpea, I did not see one OFM, or PC. No borers either. I had a few ants and dispatched them quickly. Had a little bacterial spot on my apricot which is now gone. No canker, no scale. Good looking un-blemished fruit, with fabulous taste. My later apples are just beginning to ripen and due to putting them in baggies, I escaped insect damage, sooty blotch and flyspeck. Watching the timing for spraying and being consistant in your labor really pays off. My first great fruit year, thanks to all of you; (that goes for Frank, Bamboo, Scott, Patty, Flora, Milehigh, Itilton,Johnmeer, and Fruitnut too!) If I left anyone out I mean you too!

63 Yellow Pristine apple

22 Italian Prune Plums

32 Elberta Peaches

9 Jonagold apples

1 Enterprise apple

4 Harglow Apricots

1 Quart Montmorency sour cherry

Lots of Raspberries

Mrs. G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Our raspberries are continuing to produce fruit, and the blueberry crop was good: 3 1/2 gallons, with an estimated 1 quart lost to the local birds. I have been fighting japanese beetles with the cup of soapy water. Most of our blueberry shrubs show some damage from these insects, but only 5% of the leaves are affected. We lost a few raspberry canes to insect borers, but these were pruned off right away and went on the compost pile.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 1:37PM
mrsg47(7)

Gosh, how can I forget my Northern Swiss pal Konrad. Thanks!

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 3:52PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Congratulations Mrs. G! It's always special to get that first fruit from a tree.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 9:16PM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks Olpea. I forget about all of the work and I say to myself, this is magic. The trees are beautiful and with 'real' sized fruit on them is amazing. Put up 13 small jars of peach jam. Oh yum all winter long! Mrs. G

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™