My first fruit tree crops ever....

canadianplantSeptember 16, 2013

Only having fruit trees for 4 years, I have not been able to get any crops in previous years. Not to mention Ive added a tree or 2 each year over those 4 years each tree is in various stages of maturity.

I dont know how to post multiple images on here yet so ill have to post each pic in itself....

This is the John pear. This is its second year and I would assume that would make it 3 or 4 years old. It flowered like mad in the spring, and set a good 20 fruits. After thinning and what not I ended up with 6 decent sized pears. Im not quite sure when the best time to pick them is so I started today, and will pick one ever week until they are gone. The skin just recently went from waxy to a softer leathery appearance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

Another on the tree with the orange blush

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 10:54AM
Bradybb(wa8)

Congratulations.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 10:56AM
canadianplant

This is the fist crop of Honeygold apples. Last year I had more but they all dropped prematurely. I can only assume the tree was too young. This is its 3rd or 4rth year, and I am hoping for a better crop next year. The colour is amazing though. 3 - 4 weeks to go before I can pick them:

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 10:58AM
canadianplant

And lastly my new Golden spice pear. No fruit but... nice little tree:

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 11:00AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Congrats...nice clean fruits!
That John you might want to graft something else one since it's a horrible sour or non eating out of hand pear, you can can them with lots of sugar.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 7:37PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Very cool! Looking good! I only have 1st year trees here, but have been harvesting cherries from my trees at my cottage for a bit now. The trees here look great and may have some fruit next year. I'll probably remove it all though.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 11:08PM
canadianplant

Thanks Konrad.

Now that I have the Golden spice I have a bit more to work with. The John will most likely be a pollinator for the Golden spice. I will see how the John taste when theyre ripe. MY boss says theyre ok. Maybe they need a slightly warmer climate to sweeten up then where you are?

Either way, I plan to graft Flemish Beauty to the John, as well as my bosc seedling. Im just not sure if I am going to graft a few branches on the john, or replace the leader at the top.

Drew - Thanks! I thought about removing all the fruit, but decided to leave one or two. THe john set so much fruit I decided it was ready to produce, so I left a small crop of 6. The apple only set 6 fruit and ended up with 2, so I let it do its thing.

Seeing as I have the golden spice, and its been described as "precocious" then I should get good pollination from the John and vice versa, which should mean better fruit set. That is, if the flower at the same time here....

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 2:22AM
mrsg47(7)

Good Going! The fruit is exceptionally blemish free! Thanks for the pics. I always love seeing what others have grown! Mrs. G

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:01AM
canadianplant

Thanks MrsG

We had an exceptional season for predators in my yard. I also think given the climate most diseases shouldnt be too much of a worry.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 11:41AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Let us know how it taste for you, ..as you might find, this pear is vigorous and very good to graft onto, [golden spice less vigorous]

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 9:04PM
canadianplant

I will say John is quite vigorous. IT put on around 2 feet of growth this season and still managed to set a crop. It is definitely vigorous and precocious!

IF they are so easy to graft on to and are hardy I wonder how well john would be for rootstock...

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™