blueberry bushes

seanc_bbSeptember 8, 2010

I have posted prior on rehabilitation of a blueberry field.

There is quite alot of bittersweet vine's in my bushes. Is there a herbicide that will selectively kill the bittersweet but spare my blueberry bushes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gtippitt

Depending upon which one of the bittersweet vines (there are three different vines called Bittersweet), lowering the pH of the soil might help.

The native, non-invasive, and endangered American/False Bittersweet vines likes acid soils around 5 just as blueberry bushes prefer.

The non-native, invasive, and most common Asian Bittersweet Vine perfers soil ph about 6.

I'm not sure about the other less common Nightshade Bittersweet.

You've probably got the Asian Bittersweet Vine or a hybrid of it and the American. Lowering the soil pH won't kill it, but it will help control it, while you manage to eradicate it completely. The best way to kill it is to cut it off at the ground and paint the top of the stub with RoundUp. I normally hate RoundUp, but with some weeds there is hardly any other way. If you try to spray the vines with RoundUP, you will kill your blueberries, but you can cut the vines, and paint the stubs without getting it on the blueberries.

Every one of the Bittersweet berries will produce more vines, so getting the soil pH down to 5 will help your blueberries and slow the vines down.

Good Luck, maybe someday it and kudzu's ranges will overlap, and they will wipe one-another out.

Greg

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Bittersweet vine

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 8:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seanc_bb

Thanks Greg.

I was figuring it was going to be rip and tear and then paint on roundup on everything the broken bits. A forrester who surveyed my land said it is asian bittersweet...

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™