sticky substance on pecan trees

sonny1950September 1, 2008

I have seven pecan trees . Three of them have a sticky substance on the leaves . They are the younger trees , about seven years old and fifteen feet tall. I have never had this problem before. The sap like substance is all over everything around them. Please help me , I do not want to loose my trees.

Sonny 1950

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Sonny 1950:

Fear not, your trees are in no danger. The sticky stuff is honeydew from yellow aphids. You should be able to see the aphids on the underside of leaves, but they could be high in the tree. Many people experience this problem with pecans and complain when their car turns into a lolly pop. It's not that serious although heavy numbers can reduce pecan yield and quality.

A more serious aphid is the black aphid. It can partially defoliate the tree. These usually occur in small numbers on leaves in the lower canopy. If you see leaves with segments of the leaf turning yellow, you may have this pest. Commercial growers spray for this one.

For what it's worth the "nut" part of my handle references the 20 yrs I spent in pecan variety development for Texas A&M Univ.

The Fruitnut

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 3:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Hose 'em off.

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™