Starting grapes from clipping

wittyraven(4)September 6, 2013

How would I go about doing this? I found someone a few hours away who has grape vines in their greenhouse and is willing to give me a clipping from pruning. When is the best time to get a clipping when trying to start a new plant? I'm planning to start on in my own green house, but to start it will be in a pot in the house until we can finish building the greenhouse next spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Get the canes when your friend prunes, preferably in late spring before growth begins. Keep them damp not wet until you callus them. You either need to wait until it warms up outdoors or maintain 70+F soil temperature during callusing and rooting.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 3:37PM
ravenh2001

I am the lazyest person in the world. So gramp said. The day after 99% of the snow is gone I do yard cleanup on my rental houses. part of that is pruning back the grape vines. when I get home and throw the stuf on the burn pile I cut a few and stick them into last years compost pile. When it is time to work the compost into the garden I transplant the ones that look good anywhere between the pile and the garden. I have about a 50% grow rate. Now I am trying to figure out how to have them dry to raisins before I pick them. so I can pick into a vacume seal bag and just put them into the pantry.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 3:39PM
curtis(5)

I got some clipping as the buds started to swell (so later then normal) and stuck them in pots, all grew.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 10:48PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Grapes are easy from cuttings. In SoCal I can take them anytime after the leaves have dropped, but colder climates maybe better to wait for spring?

Cuttings should include at least 4 'nodes', and you will bury 2 of the nodes.

Stick them in the ground, compost pile, pot or a thick bag of potting soil. Water them sometimes.

Your friend will have plenty, because they are normally pruned aggressively.

Just because they have new leaves, doesn't mean they have a good root system and are ready to transplant. Probably easiest just to take several and stick 'em in the ground where you want them. Cull the weaker ones as 1 or 2 show themselves to be stronger.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 1:39PM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™