Caroline raspberry - too late to plant in ground

jollyrd(Richmond VA)September 23, 2009

I just got the Caroline raspberry plant from Gurneys. I placed the order in early Feb-Mar this year, but they just sent it.

I don't feel like putting it in the ground - it's been too vet season and the temps at night are 60 and lower now. The plant is about 1.5 feet tall and has green leaves. Can I put it in a pot and keep inside until next spring? What conditions for indoor location and what treatment should I give it?

I know raspberries like well drained and good pH soil.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

I grow everbearing red raspberries here in Madison, Wisconsin. These tend to spread, and every year I transplant a few in the spring. However, it is possible to transplant in the fall. The advantage to fall planting is that the seedling has a chance to establish the roots, before the plant begins to leaf out and make demands on the root system for water. If you transplant now, the leaves will fall off in November or December, and of course, you won't be getting any blossoms or fruit this year. The growth will be underground, where you can't see it. Chances are that the raspberry seedling will leaf out and take off next spring.

Bookmark   September 23, 2009 at 2:09PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

You definitely want to plant it now. I have planted raspberries in the fall and they took off like rockets the next spring. In fact, fall planting is better than spring planting for raspberries for folks in zone 6 and higher. 60s temps are a great time to plant.

Scott

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 9:38AM
jollyrd(Richmond VA)

Thanks
It was planted and mulched with straw and protected with concrete blocks around it - so that no one and no dog! accidentaly breaks it.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 4:37PM
jollyrd(Richmond VA)

well, it's dead. I am completely at loss, the soil pH is 7.1, compost added, mulched. Sad sad. I cleaned up the bed and will have to start from zero. This will be my fourth attempt at raspberries - they are my favorite berries and I really want to have my own patch. So much for non-destructable and hardy plants.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 12:39PM
sharppa(6)

Maybe you should try some potted berries from a local nursery? I've gotten a few from the Virginia Berry Farm at local places that have done very well. For bare-root ones, I had mixed luck with my first batch because I planted them too deep.

Once they get established, they can grow and spread like mad. I made the mistake of planting against a fence and the other side is just overrun this season.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 3:33PM
mudflapper

One of the problems I've run into with raspberries is if they are planted deeper than they were, they die, so just make sure you plant at the same depth as they were grown.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™