strange leaves on Red Flame grapes...

vieja_gw(z7NM)September 25, 2013

These are the leaves just now on the Red Flame grapes are looking like this (see photo)! I have tried so long to get a Red Flame grape to grow but freezes keep taking the new plants like this spring. It grew shoots from the roots this summer (assume it is not a grafted variety.. so shoot is truly the Red Flame?). The old Concord leaves are very normal looking. We have had a very wet month for us here in New Mexico so could this be some sort of mold? I don't want to give up on the Red Flame!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

I am certainly no grape expert but that damage looks mechanical to me.....like insect damage.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 6:44PM
calliope(6)

Looks like it to me as well. Grape leaf skeletoniser in your location? or grape flea beetle or japanese beetle. I am not West, but East and my bugs might not be the same as your's.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 6:54PM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

Oh, I hope you both are wrong!!! I shall take these to the County Extension Agent now to see what they say. The concord grape leaves (vines are over 50 yrs. old & bear great) are just fine though but about 100 ft. from the red flame. Will let you know what I find out! I am SO determined to get a red flame grape to grow & bear here!!

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 4:17PM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

County Extension Agent agreed that you were correct: skeletonizing from a small fly (I think he said) & to treat with BT next spring! So far (!) he said the Japanese beetle has not been found here...yet! I hadn't noticed any bugs on the plants or around it, but I may not have looked closely or missed them.
The one cluster of grapes from these new 8 ft. shoots from the base is small but have hopes they ripen so I can taste them. I understand home grown Red Flames won't get as large as store-bought as commercial growers are allowed to spray with something to get larger fruit.
Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 1:55PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Sometimes the caterpillars are out only at night it really depends on the variety.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™