Gooseberry cuttings

sage721September 20, 2009

I obtained some gooseberry cuttings (unknown varieties) this morning... They are currently sitting in a glass of water... Took some woody cuttings and some that were still a bit 'green'... Planning on putting them in perlite and seeing what happens... Any advice would be very much welcomed... Never tried to root gooseberry before, wondering what will work/ any better methods...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

The traditional ways of propagating gooseberries are 'mounding' and layering. Cuttings will work but they are not as easy as red or black currants. I have done them just by sticking the cuttings into my ordinary harden soil and waiting. If you have plenty of material I would just do that and some will be successful. If you only have a few cuttings I would insert them into an open mixture in pots, protect from animals and leave them in a sheltered place outdoors through the winter. Expect them to lose their leaves. In the spring you should see signs of life.

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 4:50PM
sage721

Thanks a bunch... Gettin kinda late in the season for anything to happen before the first frost (couple weeks at best), but you recommend leaving them outside for the winter? I was thinking of bringing them inside with the rest of the potted plants. And, i brought a good handful of cuttings and and could always go get more in the spring if i don't get lucky with this bunch..

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 7:43PM
itsbubbles(4b)

Reviving an oldish post, but I'm curious for expertise in this matter. I have a gooseberry plant, two years old now (from 2 year stock, I think) that is setting berries this year. Loving the plant - very low maintenance, pretty bright green bush, and one of the first things to flower this year.

Can I take cuttings from it and root in my usual way (ph-adjusted water with hydroponic fertilizer) now? Or should I wait? My idea would be to establish a cutting in the ground in August/September so it can come back in the spring. Or should I take the cutting in August and overwinter the cutting indoors and plant it next spring?

I also have the same question about wild black raspberries (i.e., "black caps") that grow in the field down the road. I'd like to take a few cuttings to root hydroponically and then plant in the ground. Now, as fruiting season approaches - or later?

Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 1:46AM
More Discussions
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Gophers killing apple trees... Help!
Gophers have killed 2 roses and one prized apple tree...
peteramu
November Vole Damage
Voles have attacked my apple trees. A few of them are...
tedgrowsit
Sponsored Products
WAC Lighting | Genesis 6 Light Mirrored Canopy Pendant Light
YLighting
Harbour Outdoor | Balmoral Armchair
YLiving.com
Tiffany-style 2-light Antique Bronze Hanging Lamp
Overstock.com
Set of Four Kim Seybert Capiz Shell Placemats
$325.00 | FRONTGATE
Deluxe Ventilated Cedar Closet Wall Kit
Signature Hardware