interesting articles on fruit growing

alan haighSeptember 14, 2013

I tried to post this earlier but somehow it was not picked up. I was e-mailed a free copy of Tree Fruit Magazine (Australia) and there are a couple very interesting articles about growing tree fruit- especially the one about cherry extension growth. I can't post a link but you can find the web site through google and it provides free access to the current issue.

The article tells of research that indicates you can increase the sugar of cherries by pruning back annual growth a week before the fruit ripens and also reduce cracking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

http://www.treefruit.com.au/index.php/2012-02-11-05-40-34/crop-growth-management/item/288-managing-extension-growth-in-cherries-part-2

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 3:29PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The way I read it brix increased from 16 to 16.7, really!! Cherries are the one fruit I don't have to work at to get brix 25-32. Maybe they are harvesting too soon or maybe their trees are over cropped. I don't know but 16-17 brix isn't that good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Fruit home

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 4:05PM
alan haigh

Whatever their final reading doesn't matter- for those of us in areas where more sugar would help it is useful info IMO.

I'm also wondering if the general principle might apply to other fruit, where pruning vegetative wood above fruit is helpful when done shortly before ripening but harmful if done much earlier. I believe it applies to peaches and I've been managing summer pruning of peaches to coincide with this, except I've been doing it a bit earlier. Pretty hard to get every tree a week before ripening.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™