Please tell me about Pyrus golden spice

canadianplantSeptember 12, 2013

Once again the internet has failed me. There is very vague information for this pear. I can find size and a few pictures of it but there is no concrete information as to parentage or even reliable information of taste.

The tag says its an ussuriensis hybrid, USDA says unknown parantage. U of Minn says nothing nor does the saskatchewan fruit growers in the U of Sask. I would also like to know about flavour. They look to be small pears but im hoping they are sweet enough to eat or make juice with.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I grafted over a tart one to Golden Spice, small but I like it, keeps in the fridge for over a month, I take a couple for my lunch bag,..slightly on the tart side, makes nice juice.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:48PM
marknmt

A fine little pear- spicy and flavorful, albeit not complex in flavor, prolific and disease-free. Smaller than Seckel. Precocious, straightforward to manage as far as pruning is concerned. Search "Gold Spice" rather than "Golden" and you might do better. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 8:06PM
canadianplant

Thanks Konrad. I guess it was you in my "john pear" thread that suggested this kind.

How long are the fruits? Its hard to judge size, but id guess 2 or 3 inches from stem to blossom end?

Thanks mark ill have to do a search.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™