How long until Beach Plum and Paw Paw Fruit

edlincoln(6A)September 19, 2013

I planted a two foot tall Beach Plum in a gallon pot last year and another this Spring . I also planted a three foot bare root with almost no roots early this Spring. The two potted Beach plums are alive (though they recently got some yellowing around the leaves) and the bare root is alive but has tattered leaves.

I planted two short potted Paw Paws in gallon pots and one two foot bare root. One of the potted ones got mowed down before I properly marked it.

How many years before I get any fruit? Also, will the potted Paw Paw that got mowed down grow back?

I'm considering planting American Persimmon. How long until that will bear fruit?

This post was edited by edlincoln on Tue, Dec 23, 14 at 12:57

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Ed,

The one paw paw got mowed down might re-sprout. Paw paw usually takes about 4-5 yrs to reach 7-8 feet tall and to produce. Mango is the most vigorous grower of all paw paws. Grafted American persimmon will take about 3-4 yrs to produce. Seedlings of D. Virginiana will take about 5-7 yrs to produce. You may want to protect these trees with wire cages to prevent them from being mowed down. Good luck!!

Tony

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 2:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edlincoln(6A)

Thanks Tony! I already put cages around the trees that aren't in flower beds. American Persimmon is one I'm contemplating getting...the others I already got. Now I need to find out how long until Beach Plum produce fruit...

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™