Are these cantaloupes ripe

hot_roses9September 11, 2013

I've had some cantaloupes growing in my back yard and the 2 cantaloupes in the picture just came off the vine. I didn't cut them off or anything. The cantaloupes were growing vertically about 2 inches off the ground and they fell off the vine by themselves. They are both small, just a little over 2 pounds and they have some green on them. Are they ripe and ok to eat?
Thanks for your help. This is the first and probably the last time I will ever grow cantaloupes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Yes, they are ripe when they separate easily from the vine. They will ripen more off the vine but probably not taste much better.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 2:52PM
eboone_gw

I would probably want to taste them before I decided if I was going to grow them again :)

And if you grow them vertically, supporting the hanging cantelopes with a sling made of old stockings does wonders to hold them in place.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 4:06PM
ltilton

That's what cantaloupes are supposed to do when ripe. They look just fine and probably taste fine, too.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 4:21PM
campv

That's what mine looked like this year and they were great!

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 5:03PM
mrsg47(7)

I make sure I can see no more green color through the netting.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 6:17PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

The lopes that slip automatically when ripe are nice as it takes the guess work out of it. If they had been supported they probably would have stayed on a couple more days but still I am sure they are ripe but may still need to soften up a bit on your counter.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 7:26PM
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

Most netted cantaloupes (muskmelons) slip from the vine when ripe. Flavor is better if water is restricted before ripening. Some cultivars develop a yellow, orange or creamy color under the netting when ripe, some remain green when ripe.

Personally, I prefer not to let typical muskmelons ripen further after slipping. Some netted melons DO NOT slip when ripe and are cut from the vine. And signs for determining ripeness of other melons (honeydews, etc.) vary by cultivar. I think it's nice when seed houses tell you how to determine when the cultivar you are considering is ripe.

p.s.: Melons may slip off the vine early if plants are over-watered while melons are ripening.

This post was edited by carolync1 on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 20:29

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™