Mystery solved

rosefollySeptember 27, 2013

Seven or so years ago I embarked on the planting of an orchard, the goal being a wide variety of fruit growing in my backyard, something available for fresh eating most of the year. Some of it has succeeded, some has not.

One thing that has always puzzled me was the lack of fruit on my Green Gage plum. I had planted Coe's Golden Drop, another European plum, for cross-pollination. However any fruit that formed (a few did) disappeared from the tree shortly thereafter. Last year in disgust I dug it up. I'm still pulling out rootstock suckers.

Making one of my usual inspections I came across Coe's GD, which I had not yet got around to removing. To my astonishment, it has a dozen small fruits on it. And guess what --- they are apples! No wonder Green Gage never produced any fruit.

Apparently there is both a Coe's Golden Drop apple and a Coe's Golden Drop European plum. My source doesn't carry either of them currently but carried both the year I placed my order (probably 2006 or 2007). I got the wrong one, and embarrassing as it is for me to admit, I simply never notice. We see what we expect to see.

The apple tree, grafted on MM111 (which I also never noticed) is not at all vigorous. I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it. The fruit is very small, almost like a Lady apple, though it has quite a nice snappy, vinous flavor. Like Scarlett O'Hara, I'll think about it tomorrow.

Rosefolly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamuang_gw

Thanks for posting and glad that you got the answer.

Coe's Golden Drop has often got good reviews here. I am very tempted to grow. You may want to buy the real Coe's GD plum. I think Raintree has it.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 7:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosefolly

Well, it would require planting two trees, not only Coe's GD plum but also a second European plum. I'll have to mull it over for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion.

R

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™