What should I plant next to my burgundy plum?

fresnogardengalSeptember 19, 2013

So I currently have a two year old burgundy plum tree that has yet to produce. I'm planning on planting another fruit tree next to it this winter. I would like to plant something that will be pollinated by the burgundy. I'm thinking of another Japanese plum or a hybrid. A friend suggested trying a Shiro or a Pluerry Sweet Treat but that was only from reading their descriptions online. I live in the Central Valley of California so low chill varieties are best. Could I get some recommendations based on your experiences? Great taste and high producers would be preferred. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Pluots and Japanese will benefit most from Burgandy pollen. My favorites that are heavy producers are Flavor King, Flavor Grenade, Geo Pride, and Flavor Finale. I had a small crop of Sweet Treat this year. It will be a heavy producer but the fruit was 10-20% the size of a real plum/pluot. The taste was nothing special.

Flavor Grenade is the heaviest producer but I spend hours thinning the fruit. I don't know what it would be like unthinned. Probably a badly broken tree.

Flavor King on the other hand has always set a good crop for me with little or no thinning needed. It also probably has the best flavor.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 4:56PM
fresnogardengal

In that case, Sweet Treat doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe a Flavor Grenade is the way to go! Any other opinions?

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 10:09PM
fireduck(10a)

my favorite is Satsuma. Deep purple flesh...very sweet.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 11:52PM
schiba(5b)

Shiro would be a terrific treat, as it has an amazing flavor, but you also get the benifit of the yellow color next to your burgundy.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 6:45PM
itheweatherman

Plant a flavor finale pluot: absolutely delicious.

Or a Mariposa plum: Low-chill, very sweet and juicy; I have one at home.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 12:25AM
brotherjake(5A UT)

I agree with Fruitnut. Once you've tried a Flavor King, not much else stands a chance. If you're looking for one tree, the FK is it. Sooooooo gooooood!

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 9:32PM
itheweatherman

I wonder if flavor king pluot has some peach in its ancestry; according to Dave Wilson Nursery Geo Pride has peach in its ancestry, and according to the patents, both pluots originated from the same parents.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™