Plant new apple tree or wait and see?
Wonder if anyone has an opinion on this whether a tree is worth trying to save. Last year I put in a few apple trees, including a JonaFree on semi-dwarfing stock (m.7). In 2011, we had an unusually wet spring and summer and the field stayed wet almost all summer long (my father-in-law started calling my trees swamp apples).
Anyway, this year was dryer (maybe a little too dry) and most of my second year trees seem to be doing okay. However, the JonaFree got hit with what I think is Cedar Apple Rust (see picture). It seems to have grown almost not at all after the early bud growth. And recently it lost almost all its leaves. It was also the one that was in standing water for much of last summer.
What's the conventional wisdom here? Something like, "even if it does come back, the growth will be stunted and it'll never grow right"? Or, "I've seen this happen to trees and then they bounce back and do great. Just hit them with Immunox in the spring and see how it goes"? Or something else?
I have a bunch of grafted seedlings in a bed and I could easily replace the JonaFree, but it seems a shame to give up on two year's effort. What would you do?
Thanks for any thoughts.
PS - By the way, can anyone confirm from my blurry photo that that's CAR?