'Morris Burton' persimmon

shane11September 14, 2012

Does anyone know if 'morris burton' fruits need to set or age any to lose astringency once they drop from tree? My tree has fruited this year and the fruits are very sweet compared to many others, slightly smaller sized, wonderful flavor and dark orange red BUT everyone I have picked up and tasted has left a very slight astringent taste. I do not find this trait with early golden, yates, john rick, or ruby. I am wondering if this is simply a normal trait for this variety or if others have experienced this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Shane,

I had a seedling of Morris Burton called MB #3. It is suppose to taste better and bigger than it's parent MB. I hope to get some fruit in a year or two. I think Benny had a morris burton but he did not like it for some reason. Hopefully he can tell you more.

Tony

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 12:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bennylafleur(6 E. Tn.)

Shane

I topworked my Morris Burton. They tasted ok, but were small due to being seedless, and I think hung on the tree very well and extras long time because they did not weigh enough to fall off. I have tasted larger seeded Morris Burton at Jerry Lehman's, and what I liked about them was the total lack of astringency. On other trees I would slowly bite into each one to check for astringency, but on MB I could just go along and eat them without any concern of getting a bad one.

Benny

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™