trunk protection for cherry trees?

oldryderSeptember 29, 2011

I have about 50 cherry trees that will be entering their 2nd winter this year. based on advice hre I have mulched the trees quite heavily as I lost about 10% the 1st winter (which is much higher mortality than I have experienced with apple and plum trees)

per advice here on the forum my apple trees have white trunk wraps to protect them from freeze damage in the spring.

question is do cherry trees need the same treatment?

as always thx for help.

Mark in MN

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

You could paint them. Mine are located in a spot that gets no sun whatsoever all winter, so I just leave mine (north side of the house). I just put hardware cloth around them. You could pile snow around them, but that would be a lot of work and you need to watch out for voles.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 6:23PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Mark,

Keep in mind trunk wraps or painting will not protect the cherry trees from extremely low temperature freeze damage. If the temps fall below the range it take to kill wood, the tree wraps won't help.

Tree wraps and painting do help prevent sun scald and southwest injury.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 8:02PM
oldryder

thx for help. My trees are supposed to be OK for Zone 4 and I'm on the southern edge of ZOne 4 so hopefully with good care they will be fine.

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 9:32AM
ottawan_z5a

I have a few sweet cherry plants in Zone 5a and have experienced bark splitting in early spring when the snow is still on the ground. The split is almost always on the south or southwest side. Now I just mak esure that the sun would not shine directly on the trunk on the south & southwest side.

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 7:55PM
oldryder

thx. mine are also mostly sweet cherry so I'll go forward with the trunk wraps.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 9:45AM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Isn't the issue when something like a very cold January day (subzero high temps/common in WI most winters) with full sun and good snowcover. The sun reflects off the snow hitting the brown trunk, warming it to temps above freezing...Either a cloud comes by, dropping the temp back below 0F or the sun sets and the temps plummet again, causing the temp of the trunk to freeze solid? I think it goes something like that. I'm sure there is research out there on this sort of thing. Maybe i'll do some digging.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 10:51AM
wal4444

trunk wraps could help only with southern injury...focus ur work on protecting trunks against boarers (thus by usind a chloropiryphos ethyl spray on trunk at postharvest and before bud break in spring...pay attention on phytophtra desease as well...

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™