Relocating kivi

rina_September 19, 2012

I have approx. 6yrs old kivi growing in the garden.

Could it be dug out & moved to new location?

I do not have name since I grew it from a cutting that was given to me. It grows very well but it is only one in the garden, so no fruit. It flowers well, but I don't know if it is male or female (I tried to id it by the flowers, but I am not sure).

I have anytime between now and end of November to do it; so if it could be moved, what would be best time?

It has been planted in a wood box abot 2.5x2.5feet, about 3feet high sitting right on the ground. kivi flowers

Thnx.

Rina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Rina it is a female. Transplant after the leaves fall off.

Scott

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 9:09PM
rina_

Scott

Thank you.
I'll have to find it a mate...and get few more females.
I'll try to root some cuttings, maybe will have enough females that way.

Rina

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 10:35PM
glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.

Rina,If you want some male cuttings I can send you some after they go dormant in a few weeks.I have meader and 74-45 males.Just send me a PM with your mailing address.
What method did you use to root your kiwi,was it a fresh green cutting or dormant from fall/spring?I know some of us on here have had quite a go figuring out what works best on dormant cuttings.
Glenn

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 6:44AM
rina_

Glen

Thank you very much, I will take you on this offer...

I think I was just lucky (beginners luck, I guess) with that cutting (read some posts here about trying to root them).

It was a fresh cutting, I had 2. I did it 'primitive' way - just put in jar of water. Both had roots, one died because of my neglect (water evaporated). After I saw roots, I just dipped it in some rooting hormone & stuck in pot of soil, and it grew.
I don't remember exact timing, but I think it was Aug when I got that cutting. Before winter it was potted and overwintered outside.

I am just starting to learn anything about growing fruit trees & shrubs. I just acquired a 5ac property that is totaly bare (except few evergreens around the house).
Not even a flower bed. Used to be a small vegetable farm, but nothing grown on it for at least past 8 years.
(I didn't know what a 'meader' is - hat to google it...)

Any tips & trick about growing any trees&shrubs (edibles!) will be greatly appreciated.

Rina

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 8:37AM
rina_

I realized that I have to proof-read before submitting...just noticed that I misspelled kiwi and I appologize to Glenn for misspelling his name...

Rina

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™