Hickory nuts from seeds

myk1(5 IL)September 19, 2008

I found out it's not good to steal hickory trees from the woods. 5 years later and I have White Ash as young Ash seems to have the same number of leaves as a hickory.

I figure if I start from local seeds I can have one tree and not worry about pollination.

So do I plant them outside now (do they need the freeze treatment), wait until spring or start them inside in a pot now?

I'm guessing the squirrels plant them now, they freeze and come up in the spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Yup, good guess -- they require stratification over the winter, as do most woody temperate zone seeds which mature in the late summer and fall (as oppossed to something like Silver Maple which germinates about as soon as it hits the ground in the sprintime).

Either plant them where you can bury some hardware cloth over them to keep the tree rats out, or just plant a LOT of extras. (Don't want to mention any squirrel control strategies, why poke that hornet's nest again?)

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 9:48PM
myk1(5 IL)

I've got some left over hardware cloth from when I fenced the sparrows out of my siding.

Thanks.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 10:51PM
lindakay(zone 5)

Has anybody heard of fried Squirrel? Just kidding. Hickery nuts come up real good from seed. They have to go through winter. Wish you were here , we have tons of hickery nuts.Linda

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 10:31AM
myk1(5 IL)

I mainly want the wood for smoking. I could collect the nuts easy enough in the woods. But those woods trees go straight up with no low branches to climb so they're not pruning friendly.
I think I tried squirrel on the smoker and it wasn't right. The nut fed ones are much better than ones who like wild grapes.

What I'm remembering from when I was in a house in the woods the hickory nuts weren't as good as the butternuts and I'm getting plenty of those this year so hopefully that tree is large enough to always give enough now.
But the Hickories are a lot easier to crack so I'd like the nuts if I have the tree.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 12:17PM
lindakay(zone 5)

Hickery nuts are delicious in fudge. Have you ever had hickery nut cake. MMMMMMMMMM Linda

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 1:16PM
wildlifeman(5b)

lindakay,

even better than fried squirrel is baked pot pie and slippery pot pie ( dumplings )! of course mr. squirrel is the main guest invited for dinner.

hickory nut fudge and cake sound wonderful.

i'm wanting to plant a few here for fresh eating nuts. i'm hoping dad can gather and send me some nuts this fall. trouble he has is getting them before the local wildlife. wanted some persimmons from him and they were ate before he even had a chance to pick them.

i bet they would enhance vanilla ice cream just as black walnut does. black walnuts i do have and am planting even more.

regards,
wildlifeman.

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 1:46AM
More Discussions
Fuyu Persimmon
I purchased a fuyu last year from fast-growing-trees.com....
elizabethk1
Hazelnuts
Do you need more than 1 hazelnut to produce fruit/nuts?...
redspruce
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Sponsored Products
Schonbek | Da Vinci Pendant Light - 36 Inch
YLighting
Trenton Soap Dish
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Charles Grande Armchair in Tan
$549.00 | LexMod
Campania International Awakening Garden Statue - S-458 - NATURAL
$179.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Area Rug: Wheel Brown 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot