Rubinette Apples: Red or Not?

tedgrowsit(6b PA)September 11, 2012

I just got done picking my delicious Rubinette apples. All the internet pictures of this apple show it to be red. Mine are not. They have a few faint red stripes, but not even close to red. What do yours look like? Perhaps I have been picking them prematurely. However, they do seem in every other way to be ready to pick. The flesh is yellow, fairly soft, and they are delicious. I think they are ready, but not red. Thanks, Ted

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

I grafted Rubinette to my Liberty two years ago and got a single fruit last year (no, I shouldn't have let that happen, but there was another shoot off of the graft that I let go to compensate).

The apple was smallish and almost solid red, on the sweet and simple side but quite good.

The graft has grown vigorously and I look to have more experience with it in about two years.

Good luck,

M

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 8:54PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

My first harvest is getting ripe but they are not close to being red. I ate a few that had been damaged by hail and they already had quite a good flavor, but not much color.

I got mine from Cummins.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 9:10PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Ted, mine were also exceedingly un-red this year. I think they were somewhat more red other years. I checked the seeds and they show ripe, they are also getting darker yellow which always indicates ripe.

They are turning into an excellent apple after several years of being inconsistent - they have been excellent the last two years. They are very firm, crunchy, both sweet and sour, and with a good aroma. I'm glad I gave this guy several years to show its stuff, and hope it stays consistent from here on out.

Scott

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 10:55PM
zestfest(7)

Tedgrowsit, you sent me an email, but it looks like your email is not enabled so I can't email you back... :) ZF

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Hazelnuts
Do you need more than 1 hazelnut to produce fruit/nuts?...
redspruce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™