Rubinette Apples: Red or Not?

tedgrowsit(6b PA)September 11, 2012

I just got done picking my delicious Rubinette apples. All the internet pictures of this apple show it to be red. Mine are not. They have a few faint red stripes, but not even close to red. What do yours look like? Perhaps I have been picking them prematurely. However, they do seem in every other way to be ready to pick. The flesh is yellow, fairly soft, and they are delicious. I think they are ready, but not red. Thanks, Ted

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

I grafted Rubinette to my Liberty two years ago and got a single fruit last year (no, I shouldn't have let that happen, but there was another shoot off of the graft that I let go to compensate).

The apple was smallish and almost solid red, on the sweet and simple side but quite good.

The graft has grown vigorously and I look to have more experience with it in about two years.

Good luck,

M

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 8:54PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

My first harvest is getting ripe but they are not close to being red. I ate a few that had been damaged by hail and they already had quite a good flavor, but not much color.

I got mine from Cummins.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 9:10PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Ted, mine were also exceedingly un-red this year. I think they were somewhat more red other years. I checked the seeds and they show ripe, they are also getting darker yellow which always indicates ripe.

They are turning into an excellent apple after several years of being inconsistent - they have been excellent the last two years. They are very firm, crunchy, both sweet and sour, and with a good aroma. I'm glad I gave this guy several years to show its stuff, and hope it stays consistent from here on out.

Scott

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 10:55PM
zestfest(7)

Tedgrowsit, you sent me an email, but it looks like your email is not enabled so I can't email you back... :) ZF

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™